IMHO this is a great book.


IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) - a guide to the benefits and dangers of today's communication tools is a great book written by RJ Lavalle.

Texting on cell phones. Making friends on social networking sites like MySpace, or in visually rich Virtual Worlds. To some these new cultural phenomena are frightening, to others, the communication tools they were born into. What do they mean to you? The intention of IMHO is to make readers think, presenting the “facts” that proponents and opponents of these communication technologies use to support their positions in a way that lets readers determine what these facts really mean to them. Ultimately, IMHO is a reminder that the future of human communication is in our hands, and that we are the active participants in the shaping of it. - website

This lite read is available in paperback ($19.95) or as a download ($12.95). RJ's quest of understanding this time of Digital Natives is full of insight from industry thinkers such as Jamais Cascio and Christian Renaud. Get the book here.

The book reminded me of the my own experience watching technology integrate into my childhood. Like RJ, I grew up in that transition time when Gen X children were becoming glued to computers, and video game controllers replaced our action figures. Gen Y and today's children are connected with each other and technology like never before. Amazing how far it has advanced in such a small amount of time.

I remember when I first met RJ at the beginning of his journey the night before the Virtual Goods Summit '07. He was new to the 3D Web/Metaverse crowd with an excitement to learn that was welcomed and refreshing in a crowd of usual suspects. Over the several meetings we have had, I got a chance to watch him became a wealth of information in his own right in our field. I am glad to see what little insight I gave him over the past couple years helped him enough to include me in the acknowledgments in the book (very humbling). Great job RJ and I look forward to the movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A quick response to QR and Data Matrix code.

Full of AWE at Augmented World Expo 2017

Artificial Intelligence & Robots